Our environmental strategy is focused on reducing the intensity of emissions from our operations and ensuring we effectively manage potential impacts on the environment in the immediate vicinity of our operations. We have robust plans to continue to improve performance on both fronts.
We already have a strong track record as a leading lower-carbon intensity energy producer. In the period 2018-2021, we achieved a reduction of almost 10% in absolute emissions, driven by a systematic reduction in flaring and implementation of energy efficiency measures.
We now have in place a strong road map of projects to further accelerate our efforts. This road map has been designed to produce a very significant reduction of around 40% in emissions intensity, even as we grow our business, and make a major contribution to ADNOC’s overall target of a 25% reduction in emissions intensity by 2030 and the UAE Net Zero by 2050 Strategic Initiative.
This road map consists of a well-defined abatement and investment plan across several key areas, with a range of projects already in progress:
- Expansion of electrification and clean energy use across our operating sites
- Combined cycle power generation units with efficient waste heat recovery technology
- Development of carbon capture initiatives
- Sustained flaring reduction and deployment of flare gas recovery systems
- Pursuit of solar power projects
- Water recycling and reuse